Cover your head using loose but fitting hats. At all times, avoid tight head covering wears such a hood, beanies and caps. Alsol go for loose headwears that have no tight contact with your scalp especially the donor or recipient areas.
Covering your head should be possible 10 to 14 days after the surgery. After these recommended days, your hair follicles will have started to heal and attain the scalp’s required stability. Again the chances of them falling off are minimal.
Head covering after a hair transplant procedure is one discussion you must have with your surgeon. He will help you understand the danger, benefits, and risks when you cover your grafted hair follicles immediately after the procedure.
Hair transplant is a delicate process and should be carried out by a trained, qualified, and experienced surgeon in a hair transplant clinic in Dubai. Meaning, the effort, time, and cost you incur to have a successful hair transplant procedure will need your utmost care to guard the hair follicles.
In Dubai, headcovers carry both religious and cultural meanings. So, it becomes impossible for some patients to detach them with the headgear (head covers) even after the hair transplant surgery.
Under such a scenario, the patient should talk to the surgeon in a hair transplant clinic in Dubai, who will, in turn, issue the right advice and instructions.
Modern technology has made it possible to have hair transplant surgery using two main techniques known as the FUT and FUE. Indeed the two procedures leave almost minor scars on your scalp. But even so, after the transplant, your scalp will still be swollen and sensitive to any touch.
Because of the small incision made around the root follicle, you will have small scabs and even minor bleeding. Such marks may leave unpleasant effects on your head. Many patients would love to hide such imperfections by covering their heads to conceal the scars.
It might be a good idea, but that should only be after a candid talk with the surgeon, who will help you understand how to avoid the risks that may hamper the right and desired healing results?
Some hair transplant clinics provide their customers with free loose hats to cover their heads after the surgery.
But having said
When Is It Possible For One To Cover His Head After Surgery?
To many patients, the idea of walking around with swollen, scabby, and rare bleeding scalp is a worry for them. So they would love to hide their heads by covering their head.
However, if you are to do it earlier than the ten days, that should be after talking with your doctor. The doctor will assess the need for you to cover your head.
It would be best to understand that the donor and recipient areas’ small incisions make your scalp sensitive. It would be best if you touched the site for 5 to 14 days after the surgery.
Therefore, it is only possible to cover your head after proper consultation and agree with your surgeon. Above all, observe the instruction and post-surgery care given by the surgeon.
What Are The Ways That You Can Cover Your Head?
There are different ways in which you can cover your head after an operation. You can protect your head immediately after the procedure or after 14 days after the process.
To cover your head after a day or two, do the following.
- Consult your surgeon and seek advice on why you need to cover your head soon after the operation. The surgeon will tell you the best method to wrap your head.
- Choose a hat or a cap that loosely covers your head. Preferably an adjustable fitting cap will protect your head well.
- Don’t put on a cloth that must go over your head while putting them on or removing them. A hooded sweater might not be appropriate for you after a day of the surgery.
- When putting on the headcover, avoiding using one hand. That way, you will be more careful to avoid unnecessary friction to your head and jeopardize the healing grafts.
- Always take your time, don’t hurry with wearing your headcover. Remember, your head remains swollen with the grafts more sensitive a day or two after the surgery.
So it would be best if you were more careful with yourself.
However, your surgeon will suggest that you be patient and wait for two weeks before you attempt to cover your head with a cap.
According to the best surgeons, the scalp should remain open for the first two to three days. By doing that, you will maintain the aftercare routine that is required.
After the 14 days, do the following to cover your head
- Visit your surgeon to assess if the grafts have healed, and you can start using a head cap or a helmet.
- Choose your clothing wisely. A loose adjustable cap will work well for your grafts. The flexible cap does not exert pressure on the grafts. So, it is unlikely that they will start falling off due to rubbing from your hat.
- Avoid hooded sweaters that will require going over your head when putting them on or removing them.
- Consider a hat that has soft material on the inside. Avoid fabrics or hats made of wool because the cap might stick on your head, and the thread remains on your head when you put it on. You can preferably use cotton-made caps that absorb sweat.
- When putting on your cap, ensure it is clean free from any dirt. Infections occur where there is dirt. So a cap with dirt will infect the grafts or the donor area, and you will not have the desired results.
Again any infection on your head will affect the healing process that takes a maximum of two weeks for the grafts to heal well.
- When putting on your cap or any headcover, avoid putting them on for long hours. Wearing a cap for long hours necessitates sweat building on your head which is a recipe for infection. So wear your headgear for at least 4 hours or less a day.
- Do not use covers like a motorcycle helmet, construction helmet, or even shower caps for at least one 1 or 2 months.
The ultimate reason why one goes for a hair transplant is to improve personal looks and spur confidence. However, taking care of your hair after a transplant is what determines the results for you.
So, you don’t need to walk around with empty spaces or patches on your head because you did not choose your headcover wisely. Indeed the only way you can get it right is to consult your hair transplant surgeon to make things easier for you.
Why Should You Cover Your Head After Hair Transplant?
According to the best surgeons in our hair transplant clinic in Dubai, you are to leave your head uncovered for at least two weeks after the surgery. However, there are specific reasons as to why you should cover your head after the surgery.
The following are the reasons why you should cover your head after hair transplant surgery.
- Covering your head shields the grafted hair follicles from direct sunlight. Too much heat from the sun makes your scalp dry, causing the hair follicles to fall off.
- The Sun’s UV rays are not friendly to the newly grafted hair follicles. They result in sunburns, and sure enough, no one wants a sunburnt scalp.
Also, exposure to sunlight may result in sweating which may not be okay for the recovering hair follicles. Sweat may cause some infections to your head.
- Covering your head also protects your scalp from the air pollutants that might infect the scalp. After surgery, there are unseen wounds on your scalp that may accumulate dirt due to air pollutants. The end will be an unnecessary infection to your scalp.
- Covering your head will protect your scalp from the rains, wind, and extreme weather conditions. You are likely to expose the grafted hair follicles to heavy rains and winds.
These conditions disrupt the newly grafted hair follicles.
The result may not be okay for you due to the effects the rain and wind will have on you.
Too many dusty areas are not favorable for your scalp if you have had a hair transplant. So cover your scalp to avoid infections.
- Covering your head after a hair transplant procedure helps protect your scalp from the risks that may occur at the workplace. Job settings such as the construction sites require you to wear helmets.
Therefore wear a headcover to shield yourself against any work-related damage that may occur. However, take at least three to four weeks off duty to allow your grafts to heal before resuming work.
Helmets are not suitable for your scalp. But if you must, then talk to your doctor about the best way you can wear a helmet.
Covering your head must be two weeks after a hair transplant surgery. But there are situations that you will have no other option but to wear headgear. In such a case, talk to your surgeon to determine the best headcover for you..
What Type of Caps Should I Use To Cover My Head After Hair Transplant?
When covering your head, there are special caps and hats recommended for you to use
- A cowboy hat works well when you have had a hair transplant. Remember, it should not be right to exert pressure on your scalp. Therefore ensure the cap is loose enough on your head.
- To many surgeons recommend a fisherman hat as the best after hair transplant
However, as much as you would love to cover your head and hide your scabs, some headcovers look stylish but are not the best for you to use.
Therefore avoid the following types of caps and hats.
- Beanie hats
- Hoods attached on sweaters and pullovers
- The baseball hat. It might be adjustable but not the best choice
When choosing a head cap or hat, always go for a loose lid and not pressure your head. Choose a cap with a flexible headband that does not rub on the scalp. Any headcover that causes friction to your scalp is the wrong choice.
Once again, the rule of thumb is to consult the best surgeon for your choice. Or better still, bring your cap or hat to your surgeon if you are not sure about your choice.
Some patients would love to hide and cover their heads even when they leave the clinic. They would not love other people to know they have had a hair transplant.
Under such a case, in our hair transplant clinic in Dubai, the surgeon will cover your head using a Clingfilm then place a soft hood on top. The good thing about the Clingfilm procedure is that it works well for a busy person who does not have time to allow the grafts to heal.
You can repeat the process for the first five days without damaging the recipient area. However, if you don’t know how to wrap the Clingfilm, you should always visit the surgeon to wrap up.
Call To Action
To avoid damaging sensitive and fragile hair follicles, you should wait for 10 to 14 days. But if you have to wear earlier than that, then ensure you wear a loose and soft cap.
Hair transplant surgery is a delicate procedure carried out by only qualified surgeons. In the best hair transplant clinic in Dubai, they understand the need for post-operation instruction for their patients.
However, self-care and self-precaution go a long way to help the grafted areas to heal faster. Taking good care of the grafts will ensure you have the best results, improve your looks and build your confidence.
A hat that will not exert pressure on your scalp is your best choice. Pick a hat with a firm structure that makes it sit well on your scalp. Above all, keeping in touch with your surgeon is the best option for enhanced and better results.
Please contact our clinic with the best surgeon in the country to have the best service that will put a smile on your face.